Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Back to Work

I've been off work for a little over 2 weeks and have to go back tomorrow. I love my job, but this deal of being off and not having to really do anything is quite nice. I am ready to retire!

15 days into fatherhood... a lifetime to go.

I spent some time over the past few days wondering what I would be doing if I hadn't gotten married and had a baby. Looking back over my single days, I am amazed at the amount of time I wasted eating out, hitting on waitresses. The other night we went to a local establishment for dinner and one of my old flames, more like kindling, was still working there. It's a scary thought as to what might be if I had actually asked any of them out. Yeeesh.

One of the things I do miss about the old days was all the frequent trips to Nashville that Bone and I would make. For a while we were going just about every weekend back around 2004 and 2005. We always ended up downtown at Second and Broadway and Buffalo Billiards. When we found out pool was free on Sunday afternoons, we were there every weekend for sure! When Brayden gets a little older it would be fun for the Godfather and I to take him to our old hangout and teach him all the billiards knowledge we have... which should take all of about 15 minutes. Max. Heck, Bone you should bring the nephew and we could have some interesting times I'm sure!

One part of me is looking forward to when Brayden can talk. Another part of me isn't. It would be nice knowing what is on his mind. Because right now, I am relegated to interpreting facial expressions, grunts, and crying. Very primitive at best. On the other hand, I know I'm going to have to be careful about the things I say because I'm so facetious. It's ok to be that way when you are older, but not when you are young. I mean, over half the time, I do not even come close to meaning what I say, or am ever even serious. I dunno. It's just me.

As seems to be happening too much lately. The time has flown by and I must rest, for tomorrow brings a new day of work.

Until then, just remember: No Way, No How, No Obama! (Thanks Corey for sharing that!)

5 comments:

TC said...

The other night we went to a local establishment for dinner and one of my old flames, more like kindling, was still working there. It's a scary thought as to what might be if I had actually asked any of them out.

ROFL

'Eh, you'd have probably ended up exactly where you. What's meant to be is meant to be, no?

Java Boo Boo said...

really it was more like an unlit match stick. lol

TC said...

Ha! I've read the Bonechives and listened to the radio show... I think I got that :)

But hey, all's well that end's well? And from the sound/look of things... it ended up well for you :)

Xinh said...

First, congratulations to your wife and you on the birth of your baby boy.

Second, why are you only off work for 2 weeks? Because you only wanted 2 weeks off or because you can only take 2 weeks off? Maybe I'm mistaken, but under the Family and Medical Leave Act, you as a father can take off as much time for paternity leave as a mother takes for maternity leave. I believe that's 3 months.

So unless 2 weeks is all you wanted off, I'd talk to your HR Rep at work.

Of course, Alabama law might be different than California law. I keep forgetting that California workers get a buttload of awesome benefits.

Java Boo Boo said...

tc - yes things ended up quite well! I can't believe how much I am enjoying daddy hood... especially when you consider just a couple years back, I didn't like kids at all!

xinh - thanks! I just used sick leave. I could have taken off more, but mommy and son were doing fine, so I thought I would save my leave in case someone gets sick in the future. as far as FMLA, mommy stays at home now and doesn't work.. so I guess that means, I could stay home all the time too then? haha! sounds good to me!

It was tough going back to work.